Drop Dead Diva: Do my knees look fat?

How many times have you heard these negative body talks among women? How many women do you know who are grieving daily over the body they have? A few weeks ago, I saw the trailer for the new Lifetime's dramedy, Drop Dead Diva. I could not believe my eyes and ears. Another fluffy show about a woman measuring her self worth through her body, relationship status and what not to wear and eat. I was ready to block it from weekly show line up when I saw Margaret Cho talking about DDD and her role in it. Cho is one of my favorite Comediennes. After hearing what she had to say, I had a change of heart. I braced myself to see the pilot episode on Sunday night.
For those who have not seen Drop Dead Diva. It's about a size 2 aspiring model who died and get a second chance in the body of a plus size female lawyer. Oh the horror! Wearing Lane Bryant turned out to be a major fashion faux pas for this diva. During one of the scenes, the character's best friend (before her death) declares, "Fat thing should not happen to skinny people." In her new curvaceous body, she is insecure yet smart and sassy. She is tempted by a plate of chocolate donuts at work. There are so many food references throughout the show from easy cheese to chocolate. This is not the first tv series to explore these body image angsts and won't be the last. I wonder what viewers are learning from the character and how will Jane evolve in her new body. More importantly, what messages are young women being exposed to? It's only the first episode but I'm curious to see how the story line develops. How will Drop Dead Diva perform in ratings in comparison to Dead like me, Sex and the City, Lipstick Jungle and dare I go back in time to Ally McBeal. Let's watch and find out..

Your Media Diva


No comments:

Post a Comment